Price: 9.000.000 EUROS
This beautiful Medieval castle is a historical monument, the style typical of medieval fortresses in Italy. The castle was built in the twelfth century by the Marquis del Carretto, a local feudal lord.
The castle was remodelled in 1630 and again in 1731 by the Marquis Gian Giacomo Fontana which has given it its current appearance and name. Now it is restored and habitable and one of the best preserved in all of northern Italy.
The castle is approximately 2,700 m2 in good condition and is on three floors plus an attic and large wineries at the same level as the courtyard. The kitchen and bathrooms (except the bathroom at ground floor) are functioning but need to be replaced.
There is a bathroom on every floor and several fireplaces on each floor. The kitchen can be expanded using the two adjacent rooms. The roof of the castle and the two houses has been completely restored.
Inside the castle are over 40 rooms full of antique objects and furniture. In all there are about 600 paintings, many dating from the 15th to the 18th century, are about 300 the rest are of the 19th century to 20th century. The antique paintings need to be authenticated and catalogued.
There are about 300 items of furniture, all very beautiful and ancient, dating from fifteenth century onward. 300 items of furniture and over other 2000 miscellaneous items, including some religious items (reliquaries), sculptures, clocks, tapestries, 15 wonderful safes (1500/1600), old clothes (1700), books (1800), musical instruments, silverware, china, candelabras .... In all there are about 3,000 pieces. The items need to be inventoried & catalogued.
The property is set in approximately 5,000 m2 with a nice park and a garden inside the courtyard, a private chapel inside the castle and two other houses. The first house is adjacent to the castle and needs to be restructured. It is 200 m2 and has 10 rooms, courtyard and meadows. The second house is 200 m2 plus garden and also needs to be restructured. It is outside the park behind the church that is not part of the property. Both houses are inside the castle walls.
The castle is connected to the local gas network. The roof of the castle and of the two houses has been completely restored. The property is equipped with an alarm system linked directly to the police barracks (less than 100 yards from the castle).
Located in the small town of Cravanzana about 30 km from the city of Alba, the capital of the Langhe. The castle is about 122 km from Turin (less than 2 hours by car) and about 120 km from the border with France. The castle is about one hour by car from the sea of Liguria. Nice Airport in France is 209 km, 2 hours 34 minutes, Milan Malpensa Airport 195 km, 2 hours 30 minutes, and Genoa Airport 110 km, 1 hour 31 minutes.
The castle is in the beautiful area of the Langhe, famous for its wines, hazelnuts and white truffles. The area is to be included in the UNESCO heritage.
Click on image to enlarge picture & zoom in
Downloadable Document Attachment:
- Castle Cravanza