|Lamberts Plantation - SOLD||Barbados|
Categories: Historic/Listed properties Plantations
Location: St.Lucy, BarbadosClick Here for detailed information on Barbados)
Price: $4,000,000 BDS
Sitting on approximately 5.5 acres of land is this beautiful historic plantation home. This plantation was called "Cole Harbour" in 1653 when it was bought by Simon Lambarte for 25,500 lbs of muscovado sugar.
It stayed in the family until 1800, when the then 464 acre property was sold in Chancery Court. Only about half the land was arable. St. Lucy's Parish Church bears an inscription regarding its next owner - Philip Lovel - who died July 2nd 1869 aged 63 years.
By the 1930's a new owner took over this home and made demolished the existing timber house, re-casting both the wood and windows in the coral-stone structure that is there today. Its tapered square columns with the nicely picked out detail are typical of that era. The window hoods and louvers are tropical practicalities, while cornice trim and pencil lattice details add to the charm.
The old coach house has been changed into a charming two bedroom cottage and the mill-wall is now used as a barbecue area. From the breezy veranda you enter a cheerful yellow sitting room that flows into the dining area around the corner. A broad, partial door leads to a little corner office with an old wall safe. In the days gone by, the planter would have done bookkeeping and paid wages here. Plantation workers would have stood outside at its window to collect their pay.
Three bedrooms and a bathroom open on to a broad halfway. Originally it led the way to the rear wall, with separate toilet and shower rooms off to one side. One has been made into a handsome full bathroom lined with gray marble tiles. Each bedroom door is surmounted by a little transom window, whose pretty patterned glass was taken from the old front door.
The first bedroom has a mirrored mahogany wash stand, whose design is uncommon. The second is the baby's room with two-tone walls. The master bedroom is bathed in blue. Its corner door leads through to a dressing room then a bathroom featuring mahogany and stone. Large round pebbles form textured counter tops, while polished tiles gleam.
Other magnificent features are the custom designed kitchen with solid wood cabinetry, as well as the conversion of the old yam cellar to a fully equipped gym. Truly a home filled with charm and Barbadian history!
Click on image to enlarge picture & zoom in
Pavilions of Splendour International, Inc.Suite 9, Ansuya Estate, Revolution Avenue, Victoria, Seychelles
Telephone: 0034 603 424 175 Email: Click Here
Skype Username: pavilionsofsplendour
Copyright © 2006 - 2019 All Rights Reserved