|San Miguel Mining Village||Spain|
The old mining community
Categories: Historic/Listed properties Villages
Location: Andalucia, SpainClick Here for detailed information on Spain)
Price: 2100000 EUROS
San Miguel is an abandoned mining village set in 267 hectares of land in two parcels occupying more than 6,000 m2 and can be rebuilt for individual housing, tourist development or similar use on most parts of the property.
No planning or building permission is permitted in this district unless forming part of a restoration project such as this. There are 19 buildings of approximately 6,000 m2 and on the other side of the river about 4-5,000 m2 of older buildings comprising 9 long rows of miners cottages.
The land lies in two parcels, one of 224 hectares comprising the village and surroundings, and the other of 29 hectares enclosing the reservoir and adjacent land. The water surface of the reservoir covers 14 hectares when full and is connected to the village by a canal which forms part of the main parcel of land.
A bridge built for the railway line which originally services the mining community crosses the river that passes through the property and is in sound condition, capable of bearing heavy loads but only wide enough for a single vehicle at a time. The main access to the property does not require the use of this bridge.
The city of Huelva and beaches are 90 km away and the city of Seville 120 km. The airport is situated just outside of Seville and there is an airport planned for Huelva for 2012.
The mines of San Miguel have been exploited since the time of the Tartesios and the Romans. There are several small Roman shafts grouped in a small area near the old mine. As of all southern Spain no mining activity took place after the Romans left until the 19th century when Rio Tinto and the other smaller mines started operating.
Building at San Miguel must have started around 1845 although a large farmhouse stood there from a much earlier date. Mining continued discontinuously for over a century, frequently interrupted by market conditions or wars. A small pocket of gold bearing ore from the surface was sold to Rio Tinto in 1994 but no real mining has been done since 1970 when the ore bodies were considered depleted.
In its heyday around 1900 to 1914 the mine employed about 400 men of which half actually lived and were housed there. San Miguel was equipped with a small, fully-staff hospital, had its own shops and repair sheds for the locomotives and good housing for the level expected at the time. There was also a small church, barracks and carpenters shop. The imposing ruins of the House of Address still reveal the importance of this mine.
The private narrow gauge railway carried the ore to a junction with the main Huelva line. The property has been in private hands since 1926 and since then no underground mining has been carried out, all the extraction operations being done in the small open-cast. Rio Tinto rented this open-cast and worked it on a small scale for eleven years (1959-1970). Except for the gold ores taken in 1994 no further mineral has been mined.
Click on image to enlarge picture & zoom in
Downloadable Document Attachment:
- San Miguel Mining Village
Pavilions of Splendour International, Inc.Suite 9, Ansuya Estate, Revolution Avenue, Victoria, Seychelles
Telephone: 0034 603 424 175 Email: Click Here
Skype Username: pavilionsofsplendour
Copyright © 2006 - 2019 All Rights Reserved