Price: Offers over 1.5M GBP
Orchardton House is a magnificent Scottish Baronial Mansion of significant architectural importance and is situated 1.5 miles from Auchencairn and about 7 miles to Castle Douglas. The house has an interesting history and has had a variety of uses since it was first built in the 18th century.
Since 2003 Orchardton House has been put back to single occupation and has been much improved and modernised including a new kitchen, advanced central heating systems and extensive roof repairs. Internally there are some fifty rooms with large impressive hallways and staircases, ornate ceilings, imposing fireplaces and panelling.
Te ground floor has a reception room, five, large, light reception rooms, kitchen/breakfast room, function room, library and cinema. On the first and second floors there are in total sixteen bedrooms and eight bathrooms. The lower ground floor had been used as two self-contained apartments, workshop and storage.
The property is set in 5.4 acres of gardens and grounds which surround the house with areas of lawn and woodland with huge rhododendrons flanking the view to the bay. There are rare trees, plants, a wildlife pond, sauna and stables.
There are uninterrupted views over Orchardton Bay and
across the Solway to the Lakeland Fells and the area is well known for its beautiful coastline, scenery, sandy beaches and bustling towns nearby and the county enjoys a mild climate. Dumfries is about 20 miles, Edinburgh around 96 miles, Glasgow about 90 miles and Prestwick about 63 miles.
The prosperous market town of Castle Douglas lies to the north and is known as the Food Town earning its reputation for its individual shops and extensive cafes and hotels. The area is well renowned for its country sports including salmon and sea trout fishing and a number of golf courses are in the area including the championship course at Southerness.
The present house dates from 1881, although there had been
an earlier house on the site in the 18th century. Built by the Douglas family, Sir William, remembered as the founder of the market town of Castle Douglas.
The mansion is built over four storeys with an attic
of local grey granite and is category B listed with
asymmetrical elevations and has five circular turrets.
The house has had an interesting history, and was used during the second world war as a military convalescent hospital for wounded officers, after the war the house was let and run as a hotel.
The whole Estate, extending to 1767 acres was sold in 1951 and the purchaser of Orchardton House continued to run it as a hotel until 1960 when it became a school, when the school closed in 1981, it was then run as a house for residential courses and conferences and later housed a community of artists and craftspeople until being sold again in 2003.